Friday, May 20, 2011

It's not world music, it's just music.

After listening heartily to Mali Music with my brothers in 2002, being exposed to Fela Kuti in 2006 by my dear friend Whit and reintroduced with the relatively new broadway show, and most recently turned to Tinariwen from my bud JDR, I have grown to love the traditional music of Africa and the spin new artists from the motherland put on American's take on the music they created in the first place. Full Circle.
From the dolcet tones of Ladysmith Black Mambazo to the funloving riffs of Vieux Farka Toure one can spend a lifetime exploring the myriad genres in Mama Africa. Move over Stanley, Burton and Livingstone, there is much more to discover here. L'Afrique, your contributions to music are endless.

P.S. Best part of my night? Toure family came out to dance on stage.
P.P.S. The Secret just came out tuesday, check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment